28. oktober 2011

Tutorial: Toilet roll giftwrap

I can’t think of anything more ugly and boring than an empty toilet paper roll. But, as with everything else, they too have potential and in this tutorial I’m going to show you how you easily can turn them into beautiful gift boxes.


 What you need:
Toilet roll(s)
Napkin
Glue (liquid, not glue stick)
Something to punch a hole with.
Sticky tape




1: Put glue on the toilet roll with a paint brush. You need to put on quite a lot because the toilet roll is very porous and soaks it up quite a bit. (But if you put on to much the napkin will tear very easily and you might have to throw it away.)



2: Time to wrap the napkin around the roll. I cut the napkin into 4 pieces and threw away the back layers. I lay the napkin on the floor/table and put the roll on top. Then I carefully wrap it around dabbing it with my finger. Small tears in the napkin is not a problem as they will camouflage them self.



Then I put a second coat of glue on top, befor cutting away the excess on top and bottom.
Now it needs time to dry. This is not for people as impatient as me. Because of the amount of glue it takes quite some time. I was planning on decorating the box with a magazine bow to finish it off so I used my waiting time to make a few bows. But when the box was finished they were too big so I’m saving them for my next recycling gift wrap project.


3: When it’s dry you bend the ends against each other so that they slightly overlap and secure them with a little tape. Then turn around, put your gift inside, bend and tape.


4: Getting close to Christmas there is a high risk of you needing to ad a to/from tag on the box. So I used my pliers to punch a hole, pulled a ribbon trough and attached the tag.)


Just to see the difference I made an identical one except I painted the background white before gluing on the napkin. There is a difference, but I'm not sure if it is for the better, so I wont be wasting my time on that step again.
But what I will be doing again is making to/from tags out of puzzle pieces. If I decorate them with Christmas motifs they can be used as ornaments when they are finished being a tag .




Photobucket    Thirty Hand Made Days 504 Main vif187     Link Party    

16 kommentarer:

Simply Tasheena sa...

Wonderful idea, Thanks for sharing!

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Korrie@RedHenHome sa...

That's got to be the ultimate in repurposing! Very cute.

Jenifer Harrod sa...

Thsi is so cool I also make things with toilet paper roles. I put them on my wall.
www.ladybugswithzoi.blogspot.com
www.feedingnineonadime.blogspot.com

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear sa...

How ingenious! Found you via Happy Hour Projects! Love for you to link to our Things I've Done Thursday Link party. I also have a give-away going on for a custom blog button!

Melanie
http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/10/things-ive-done-thursday-and-blog.html

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures sa...

This is repurposing at its finest; you made a toilet paper roll look beautiful. I really like the puzzle piece you added. Very clever!

Carmen sa...

Wow...TP never looked so adorable! The possibilities are endless...Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/10/you-rock-7.html. Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

Remember...YOU ROCK!!

Carmen @ RoCa and Company
www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

Anonym sa...

Wow! Great idea and a perfect way to reuse toilet paper rolls. Nice for little gifts.

Thank you for stopping by to link up for Functional Friday!

~Angela
The Not So Functional Housewife

Trish @MomOnTimeout sa...

Such a great idea! I love finding uses for toilet paper rolls. It looks like little ones can help too :) I'd love for you to share with my readers if you have a moment. http://www.momontimeout.com/2011/10/taking-timeout-thursday-link-party-no-2.html

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You sa...

these are just great! can't believe how easy they are to make

would love it if you could share this on my link party - Serenity Saturday at www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Natasha xxx

Trish @MomOnTimeout sa...

Really very neat! Thanks for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again this week!

-Trish @ Mom On Timeout
http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

gail@My Repurposed Life sa...

very clever! I love how your gift wraps turned out!
gail

Restore and Renew sa...

What a great re-use!!

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You sa...

Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday
gorgeous!!

Hope you can come link something up this week too.
www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Natasha xx

Mandy sa...

Wanted to let you know that I'm featuring your Tutorial:Toilet Roll Giftwrap at #7 Linky Party tomorrow night! www.projectqueen.org
Thanks again for linking up this awesome project. Hope you link up again on Tuesday.

Anonym sa...

I love this idea. From lowly toilet paper tube to beautiful wrapping! Upcycling projects are my favorite and this is just genius! I also like the puzzle piece as a tag. Thanks for posting this idea!

Betty sa...

So clever, I like the idea of repurposing. I'd love for you to link this post to my Wednesday Wrap Party going on now! Warm Hugs,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...