25. mars 2012

Cake stands



 I really like decorative ceramics plates so when I go to my local second hand shop I tend to bring one or more home with me. Some of them are in daily use as what they were intended to be used for but luckily we don’t break a lot of plates in this house, so my pile of plates that looks nice but are not needed keeps growing. So I decided to try to find new uses for them and so far they have become pendants, clocks and cake stands. Some of the cake stands were sold on a craft fair a few weeks ago, but the rest you can see here.





Drilling the holes was not easy, especially because the recommended drill bit that turns up when you google the topic is just crap. It’s shaped like an arrow and does only last for 2-3 holes so I started looking for something better. After searching for “diamond tip cake stand” this type of drill bit appeared:


It is more expensive, and at first, not easy to use, but after a few broken plates (that resulted in more jewelry that I will show you later) I got the hang of it. So now I have a life time supply of 2/3 tire cake stands that will go up for sale in my Epla and Pipler shop as soon as I get to take individual pictures of each one



My personal favorite was sold at the fair, but my second favorite is this stand of German flowery plates.
Probably because it reminds me of summer :)




http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/
http://myrepurposedlife.net

15 kommentarer:

Aunt B sa...

These cake stands are beautiful. My husband uses the same type of bit to make clocks from some of my plates. I'll have to show your blog to him. He'll be very interested to see what you've made.

Laura sa...

These are beautiful! Can't wait to see the jewelry you made with the broken plates!

Sarah sa...

Wow I can't believe you drilled through the plates! I want to make some cupcake stands, so this idea would work perfectly. I would love for you to share this at my link party
http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/03/share-it-link-party-4.html

Etcetorize sa...

Wow, so beautiful! Love seeing them all together like that. You are definitely a brave one to drill through plates. Thanks so much for sharing this at Etcetorize!

Kellie sa...

these are so beautiful!!

Anita Rowe Stafford sa...

These are so beautiful, you are so clever to make them! Nice work!

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com sa...

So Pretty! I'm following:) I hope you'll share this at my link party, running now through Saturday night!

http://www.gratefulbelly.com/2012/03/whats-new-wednesday-two-and-give-away.html

Peggy Meckling-Baker sa...

They are all beautiful! It's nice to find a kindred spirit who likes to make things out of old china. Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower!

gail@My Repurposed Life sa...

I too have drilled china, it's not easy. I thought it was going to burn up my drill. :(
Your stands look great!
thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can.
gail

Ruth sa...

These are so very beautiful. and very professionally done! I stand in awe of your talent. Am pinning them. Not that I'm brave enough to try!

Anonym sa...

Beautiful cake stands! I'm wishing I would have picked up a few of those plates I saw at the garage sales yesterday!

Thanks for stopping by to link up!

~Angela

annies home sa...

love it very pretty and stylish

Homeroad sa...

I was wondering where you get the handles...
Your plates are beautiful!
Susan

Etcetorize sa...

Thanks for linking up at Etcetorize. I'll be featuring you tonight! I hope you'll stop by to grab a button and link up again~

Lolly Jane sa...

So pretty! Featuring them this weekend :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...